Skip to main content

How Do You Repair the World?


National Service Shabbat with Geralynn Lane
Five years ago... a table was prepared for me to meet new friends. The picture above is the day that started it all; actually, it was the preparation for this day. My partner at the podium is Geralynn Lane, not pictured (yet in the audience) is Yusyin Hsin. We’d all been working with NYC Service at partnering agencies. There was an opportunity to attend a National Service Shabbat. I was intrigued by this idea to celebrate service through Jewish custom and belief.

As opposed to a formal grace over the food, Geralynn and I led the audience into a moment of gratitude, setting the tone for the evening. There were many progressive young people present. We listened to one another and shared our stories. It was a safe space. Our common share was the gratitude in meeting one another through service.  

I grew up in Crown Heights, Brooklyn. Honestly the only connection that I had with my Jewish neighbors was my parent’s landlord who happened to be Jewish. -As I’m writing this it just hit me that I’m posting during the Jewish New Year. Click here to learn more about Rosh Hashana by Chabad.org. Wow! The timing is certainly on point.

After this evening, the three of us were asked to become advisory board members of Repair the World Brooklyn. I can’t speak for my two service partners of their decision, but I can tell you that at the time I felt I didn’t have the capacity. But as life would have it, I experienced a situation with my parent’s landlord which didn’t go as positively planned. It was that situation that caused me to intentionally join the board, and make sure I never allow myself to believe that all people of the same culture or belief are the same. I knew this to be true then, but due to generalizations occurring in most communities, I chose to deliberately join in commitment. I wasn’t sure how to fulfill it then, but five years later looking back is amazing…P.S... Geralynn and Yusyin are still on the board as well.



Over the past five years we’ve seen the growth of the organization go from community mapping to leading children in their very 1st service project. -Like this one for example, at the Brooklyn Children’s Museum in January. It was a great month of engagement with Repair the World NYC.

My girls learning to lead others in service, priceless!


Sunday Supper at Rapha Art Life Center!
Repair the World NYC and RAPHA Art Life Center hosted Sunday Supper out of Dr. King’s vision that people of diverse backgrounds would come together and discuss injustices of the day. The topic was gentrification. Attendees represented Ocean Hill- Brownsville, Bedstuy, Williamsburg, Flatbush and Crown Heights Brooklyn. We watched two clips from Spike Lee’s ‘Do the Right Thing as part of the evening. Ending Comments Included: The need to be on the same page for it to turn, Saying what you want, Understanding some have fixed mindsets while others have growth mindsets, Finding common ground, Seeing each other as part of humanity, Talking about the hard things as a necessity and Service to intentionally surround oneself with diverse backgrounds while making a difference in the community.
Rabbi Rachel Timoner, Yours Truly and Yehuda Webster
I was humbled to moderate Repair the World's Annual MLK Shabbat Dinner with Rabbi Rachel Timoner, Senior Rabbi at Congregation Beth Elohim and Yehuda Webster, A Coordinator at the Jewish Theological Seminary (JTS) and organizer with Jews for Racial and Economic Justice. Our discussion was about Social Justice and Service in the Face of White Supremacy. -A friend I respect, and value publicly shared the following: 

Thank you to my sister -friend for inviting me to my first shabbat. You did a beautiful job and it was a beautiful experience. Thank you for the hearts and minds that gathered to discuss social justice and service in the face of white supremacy. Thank you to those who value the soul over the flesh. Thank you to those who know they are a work in progress but are committed to doing the work. WOW! Another friend publicly thanked me for inviting her and said it was an inspiring night. So, you all are welcome to join next year ThresholdWorld Fam.

Tours of my upbringing with fellows and Advisory Board Member Yasmin schwartz
The MLK service days, shabbat dinners and suppers are aspects of service but at the heart are those that have committed a year to serve. Meeting new fellows each year in my community,  and joining them in service learning days has always been insightful. I’ve enjoyed taking fellows to learn of my upbringing in the community as well of their practices of faith through service.


Service day with fellows and (BCS) Brooklyn Community Services

If you've been intrigued by my journey of service with Repair the World in Brooklyn, you’re welcome to join us and make your own service memory! 


For the Love of Brooklyn is happening on Tuesday, October 29, 2019 at 808 Nostrand Ave. Join us and meet your neighbors in the community! We are hosting a gathering of our service partner organizations, social clubs, foodie spots and most importantly YOU! Register here to attend. 



Save the Date!!! - On Thursday, December 5, 2019 yours truly will be among those humbly honored during the Repair the World Community Builder Awards.  You’re welcome to join me as well be a sponsor with your company. Click here for tickets!  For more information about  sponsorship information send an email to thresholdworldbk@gmail.com or Rachel Figurasmith, Interim Director Repair the World NYC, at rachel.figurasmith@weRepair.org.

I believe we repair the world by working on ourselves, checking how our biases effect others, and with positive action through diverse engagements. For service projects with Repair the World in Brooklyn, Harlem or another part of America click here. www.werepair.org New fellows are looking forward to meeting you. Let them know that Melanie from BK sent cha. - Best wishes for a Sweet New Year! P.S. If you'd like to share how you repair the world for it to be posted on the blog or social media send an email to thresholdworldbk@gmail.com. or share in the comments.  Peace!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea at MEC!

Left: Dr. Patricia Ramsey, President Medgar Evers College and Right: Yours Truly, Melanie Lewis  Hello ThresholdWorld Fam, It’s been a while so we’re gonna start off with some flavorful news to warm your spirit.  Sunday, August 28th was the Medgar Evers College (MEC) Pre-Inaugural High Tea Fundraiser in honor of the Sixth President, Dr. Patricia Ramsey.  President Ramsey is the first female and scientist to serve at the college. You’ve got to read her fascinating bio of accomplishments.  https://www.mec.cuny.edu/office-of-the-president/  While contributing to the history she really just wants to make a difference to students and the school community.  She also has cool ties to the schools namesake in  her family tree. Her very own cousin Curtis Harris, served to make sure Medgar Evers legacy was protected back in Mississippi years ago. She shared these sentiments to those of us in attendance as we sipped our tea and tipped our hats in her honor. Speaking of fashion  Michael Kors was on

Honeydew Holistics!

Hello World,  I recently had the pleasure of introducing Alicia Hudson, owner of Honeydew Holistics , for a women's history month event at Borough of Manhattan Community College . Ms. Hudson gave a very informative presentation on womb wellness, to a diverse audience that continued to want more! I followed up by booking a Yoni Steaming, the main service provided at her new shop located in DUMBO (Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass) at 53 Bridge St. in Brooklyn, NY. - A little bit of history : The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Vinegar Hill (named differently in the 1800's) housed a  free black community. Brooklyn's anti-slavery movement began in 1810 and there were black-owned businesses in this very area.  Yours truly, Melanie on site. 53 Bridge St. Ms. Hudson referenced that Essence Magazine had an event in the area some time ago which introduced her to the community. She loves her magazines as they've been the source of much inspiration in her life and business. It

Womb Wellness, Education and Celebration!

  Greetings, In May of 2003, I was 7 months pregnant and 10 days shy of my college graduation.  I’d be the first in my family to complete a degree at the time. My mom attended college, yet as a wife and mother in the 1960's, she didn't receive the support needed to continue. Her act in going inspired me. I was filled with so much promise, yet I'd need to develop a new plan. How would I care for a new life, while navigating a career in the real world? Naturally, I continued on with life discovering various paths, yet carrying so much in my womb unknowingly. Joy, Trauma and DisEase included. ——-Fast forward 17 years later ….my daughter would make me aware of a brand which would take me on journey to womb wellness.  Watch as I have a conversation with Genyii of Ahura Apothecary . Genyii is a certified mindfulness and womb wellness coach, holistic birthing doula, mother, community herbalist and owner/founder of Ahura Apothecary. In the video we discuss our journey to the sacre