Skip to main content

Sweet Sixteen of Service!

Hello World! Maybe I'll call new posts Testimonial Tuesdays!:) I checked my email this morning to find that I've been accepted to serve in the 2014-2015 NYC Civic Corps! "The NYC Civic Corps, an AmeriCorps program run by NYC Service, unites a diverse group of professionals to serve full-time with partnering organizations, working to increase their organizational capacity to engage volunteers and build sustainable volunteer initiatives."-NYC Service
This is awesome news and timely as well. "AmeriCorps engages more than 75,000 Americans in intensive service each year at nonprofits, schools, public agencies, and community and faith-based groups across the country. Since the program’s founding in 1994, more than 900,000 AmeriCorps members have contributed more than 1.2 billion hours in service across America while tackling pressing problems and mobilizing millions of volunteers for the organizations they serve." - Americorps.
Americorps is celebrating 20 years of service in America on September 12, 2014. When I served in City Year Boston back in 1997-1998 Americorps was only four years old! Now I will serve in my City of New York 16 years after my first Americorps experience! Clearly volunteering is something I like to do. Engaging others in the power of service and civic education is important to me. God has blessed me to love it. I recall working jobs where I was really challenged because it wasn't what I wanted to do. I was taught to 'serve as unto the lord.'- Doing the very best with respect for the position. So I say whatever it is that you do, act as unto a higher calling than yourself. Or choose a job that will make a difference in someones life. -That will make you get out of the bed in the morning. ANNOUNCEMENTS*************************************************************************************************
(Pic~AP via Politico~President Bill Clinton helps blow out the 50 candles on his birthday cake with daughter Chelsea as first lady Hillary Rodham Clinton looks on at The Sheraton New York Hotel in 1996.) A very Happy Birthday to President Bill Clinton! -Amazing man, family and foundation continuing the legacy of making a difference in the world!
Definently praying Gods Peace and Justice for the family of Michael Brown, Officer Darren Wilson and the community of Ferguson. You can now send letters of condolence to his family via the NAACP website. Click Here! I encourage anyone interested in joining the police force to be courageous and do so! Make a difference in your community. I think of Brooklyn Borough President Eric Adams. He went from policeman to senator and is now the 1st African American Brooklyn Borough President!
Lest we forget!-"Everybody can be great...because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.” -Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Be blessed as you be the difference!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea at MEC!

Left: Dr. Patricia Ramsey, President Medgar Evers College and Right: Yours Truly, Melanie Lewis  Hello ThresholdWorld Fam, It’s been a while so we’re gonna start off with some flavorful news to warm your spirit.  Sunday, August 28th was the Medgar Evers College (MEC) Pre-Inaugural High Tea Fundraiser in honor of the Sixth President, Dr. Patricia Ramsey.  President Ramsey is the first female and scientist to serve at the college. You’ve got to read her fascinating bio of accomplishments.  https://www.mec.cuny.edu/office-of-the-president/  While contributing to the history she really just wants to make a difference to students and the school community.  She also has cool ties to the schools namesake in  her family tree. Her very own cousin Curtis Harris, served to make sure Medgar Evers legacy was protected back in Mississippi years ago. She shared these sentiments to those of us in attendance as we sipped our tea and tipped our hats in her honor. Speaking of fashion  Michael Kors was on

Honeydew Holistics!

Hello World,  I recently had the pleasure of introducing Alicia Hudson, owner of Honeydew Holistics , for a women's history month event at Borough of Manhattan Community College . Ms. Hudson gave a very informative presentation on womb wellness, to a diverse audience that continued to want more! I followed up by booking a Yoni Steaming, the main service provided at her new shop located in DUMBO (Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass) at 53 Bridge St. in Brooklyn, NY. - A little bit of history : The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Vinegar Hill (named differently in the 1800's) housed a  free black community. Brooklyn's anti-slavery movement began in 1810 and there were black-owned businesses in this very area.  Yours truly, Melanie on site. 53 Bridge St. Ms. Hudson referenced that Essence Magazine had an event in the area some time ago which introduced her to the community. She loves her magazines as they've been the source of much inspiration in her life and business. It

Womb Wellness, Education and Celebration!

  Greetings, In May of 2003, I was 7 months pregnant and 10 days shy of my college graduation.  I’d be the first in my family to complete a degree at the time. My mom attended college, yet as a wife and mother in the 1960's, she didn't receive the support needed to continue. Her act in going inspired me. I was filled with so much promise, yet I'd need to develop a new plan. How would I care for a new life, while navigating a career in the real world? Naturally, I continued on with life discovering various paths, yet carrying so much in my womb unknowingly. Joy, Trauma and DisEase included. ——-Fast forward 17 years later ….my daughter would make me aware of a brand which would take me on journey to womb wellness.  Watch as I have a conversation with Genyii of Ahura Apothecary . Genyii is a certified mindfulness and womb wellness coach, holistic birthing doula, mother, community herbalist and owner/founder of Ahura Apothecary. In the video we discuss our journey to the sacre