Skip to main content

You Gonna Learn Today!

Greetings World! I feel so blessed to be writing again.

Much Appreciation to all the Teachers! -See the events and educators to follow in this post. You know who you are. Whether it's elementary, middle school, high school or college. Whether it was for one to obtain a diploma, degree, certificate or street smarts. If you have taught someone a skill that causes them to have more understanding and maybe even find a better way of life, then you have helped make that difference.

Life in itself is certainly a teacher. In my 42 years of life I've learned lessons which have helped me to navigate future challenges. This is also why I write. It's part of my life's purpose. I've learned things that I can share to inform and inspire you to make a positive difference.

It's like electricity. You need a charge. The lesson though is to find yourself current! We need to be recharged at times. Oh that's a topic for another day.  -A teacher gives a set of lessons and the student is to demonstrate what they've understood.


There are some lessons in our lives which we'll need to repeat. Sometimes that's necessary. We don't want to be held back. We want to be on track. Yet we forget that everyone is not on the same level. Everyone doesn't necessarily get it. We've developed these systems were everyone should know a certain thing by a set time. Yet the inequality of community resources in education has shown the need for diverse methods of teaching on one's own level.

I want to thank the teachers that have made a difference in my life. First my parents. They collectively trained me up in the way they felt I should go by faith. I am forever grateful. My dad taught me to have a bank account and a job. My mom taught me to love life and people. She kept me in diverse settings.

I also wanna thank PBS! My local Public Broadcasting Station, channel 13 made us the luckiest children growing up. Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow, Electric Company and so much more. We learned good and useful subjects all the time. Shout out to all sponsors, writers and producers.


To my first principal that showed me love, thank you Ms. Gil. I remember Ms. Alston in 4th grade, she was kind. Mr. Kaufman and Oh Mr. Gets, you were the best!  Dr. Richard Green and Myrah Brown Green taught me about my African Ancestry when I was a camper at the Crown Heights Youth Collective, along with Mr. Brooks and the many talented staff members.

I remember Mr. Feggins in high school. He was the 1st teacher I had that was a Muslim. I remember that he attended the Million Man March. I recall although he was our English teacher he'd speak to us about important topics we could relate with and would allow us to freely express ourselves.

Mr. Harmon my math teacher and Mr. Washington my science teacher were really down to earth. We could respect them and hang out at the same time. They were instrumental in our activities and catalysts in catapulting our future. These were all black men. It's important to make it known the importance of black men and women in the education of black students. Especially at this level if possible.

I'll never forget my Professor James McJunkins. He worked for the New York Times and was in the service, so he really challenged us to be excellent. It was awesome joining him for our study abroad program in Jamaica. It was a blessing to attend.

I want to thank Dr. Collette Hopkins for investing in me and teaching me the Art of telling our story creatively. Your amazing works and trips for our community to see ourselves and our contributions was absolutely priceless. The books you sent me to read with my first born child compared to nothing. One can find these type of books at the Schomburg Museum in Harlem or during the Black Art Festivals.

To the amazing people in education and diverse organizations I work with now, you all keep me on my toes. While I continue to learn I also take the time to renew my strength. Thanks to the many more people over these years from whom I've learned. May we all continue to study and show ourselves approved. Be blessed!

This Week In Education: The Late Great Teacher Ida B. Wells wins Pulitzer Prize

Educators to Follow:
Erika Hardaway https://www.instagram.com/teachingthehardaway/
Tracy L Gray https://www.instagram.com/sankofaglobalproject
Trill OR Not Trill https://www.instagram.com/trillornottrill
Dr. Shawn Best https://www.instagram.com/thearcproject_/

One great educational website: The Association for the Study of African American Life and History

Would you like to share other related resources? Educate the masses in the comments.

Yours Truly,

 Melanie





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea at MEC!

Left: Dr. Patricia Ramsey, President Medgar Evers College and Right: Yours Truly, Melanie Lewis  Hello ThresholdWorld Fam, It’s been a while so we’re gonna start off with some flavorful news to warm your spirit.  Sunday, August 28th was the Medgar Evers College (MEC) Pre-Inaugural High Tea Fundraiser in honor of the Sixth President, Dr. Patricia Ramsey.  President Ramsey is the first female and scientist to serve at the college. You’ve got to read her fascinating bio of accomplishments.  https://www.mec.cuny.edu/office-of-the-president/  While contributing to the history she really just wants to make a difference to students and the school community.  She also has cool ties to the schools namesake in  her family tree. Her very own cousin Curtis Harris, served to make sure Medgar Evers legacy was protected back in Mississippi years ago. She shared these sentiments to those of us in attendance as we sipped our tea and tipped our hats in her honor. Speaking of fashion  Michael Kors was on

Honeydew Holistics!

Hello World,  I recently had the pleasure of introducing Alicia Hudson, owner of Honeydew Holistics , for a women's history month event at Borough of Manhattan Community College . Ms. Hudson gave a very informative presentation on womb wellness, to a diverse audience that continued to want more! I followed up by booking a Yoni Steaming, the main service provided at her new shop located in DUMBO (Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass) at 53 Bridge St. in Brooklyn, NY. - A little bit of history : The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Vinegar Hill (named differently in the 1800's) housed a  free black community. Brooklyn's anti-slavery movement began in 1810 and there were black-owned businesses in this very area.  Yours truly, Melanie on site. 53 Bridge St. Ms. Hudson referenced that Essence Magazine had an event in the area some time ago which introduced her to the community. She loves her magazines as they've been the source of much inspiration in her life and business. It

Womb Wellness, Education and Celebration!

  Greetings, In May of 2003, I was 7 months pregnant and 10 days shy of my college graduation.  I’d be the first in my family to complete a degree at the time. My mom attended college, yet as a wife and mother in the 1960's, she didn't receive the support needed to continue. Her act in going inspired me. I was filled with so much promise, yet I'd need to develop a new plan. How would I care for a new life, while navigating a career in the real world? Naturally, I continued on with life discovering various paths, yet carrying so much in my womb unknowingly. Joy, Trauma and DisEase included. ——-Fast forward 17 years later ….my daughter would make me aware of a brand which would take me on journey to womb wellness.  Watch as I have a conversation with Genyii of Ahura Apothecary . Genyii is a certified mindfulness and womb wellness coach, holistic birthing doula, mother, community herbalist and owner/founder of Ahura Apothecary. In the video we discuss our journey to the sacre