Skip to main content

International Love for South Africa!

(Pic-Melanie and Sabrina Lewis) On June 20, 1990 I watched history take place before Former South African President Nelson Mandela even became President! He visited New York in less than five months of his release from imprisonment in Apartheid South Africa. The honorable David Dinkins was our mayor at the time. My mother took my sister and I to the square on Broadway near Fulton Street where we got a good view of his motorcade as it went pass. I remember hearing very loudly the African calls of excitement, and holding the signs above. Click Here to read the awesome New York Times Archive of that Day! While saddened by Mandela's ailing state, I'm praying for the nations. Let's all continue to celebrate his great continued legacy in service to our fellow man and woman. After all it was' advocacy and international support' that helped him be freed after 27 years and become the first democratic leader of South Africa, as communicated in the Kenneth S. Brown book "Saving Nelson Mandela: The Rivonia Trial and the Fate of South Africa." The world watched and celebrated the victory of the Rivonia trials, and then Democracy in South Africa as Nelson Mandela was inaugurated as president. I'm greatful to have been made aware of his life's contributions and continued legacy. I recall being in the Crown Heights Youth Collective as a child. The first place I learned of Africa. I remember being in Timbuktu and Senegal, my summer classes. It was the longest camp group you'd ever see. Mr. Richard Green and Myra Brown were the founders. It was started in the year of my birth. I believe that's where I first learned of Nelson Mandela. We were taught a song, 'Bring back Nelson Mandela I remember the verse, bring him back home to Soweto!' It is by Hugh Masekela. Imagine singing that song as a child and then hearing that Nelson Mandela is about to be freed! Then hearing that he is about to visit your city. What a time it was for me, and the nations.
Nelson Mandela Day is July 18th. 'Unanimously adopted in 2009 by the United Nations (UN) General Assembly as Nelson Mandela International Day, 18 July, Nelson Mandela’s birthday is an annual call to action to people everywhere to contribute to the global movement for good by effecting change within their community,' as reported on site. View the official birthday song and video here. Be Inspired to serve for at least 67 minutes! One hour always makes a difference! For more information about apartheid and sanctions in South Africa click her for an informative post by The African File. Basic information can be found by clicking here for wikipedia results.
(pic credit bio true story) “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.” - Long Walk to Freedom. View one my my favorite South African music video's by Shakira, 'Waka Waka' the official one used for world cup in South Africa 2010. here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea at MEC!

Left: Dr. Patricia Ramsey, President Medgar Evers College and Right: Yours Truly, Melanie Lewis  Hello ThresholdWorld Fam, It’s been a while so we’re gonna start off with some flavorful news to warm your spirit.  Sunday, August 28th was the Medgar Evers College (MEC) Pre-Inaugural High Tea Fundraiser in honor of the Sixth President, Dr. Patricia Ramsey.  President Ramsey is the first female and scientist to serve at the college. You’ve got to read her fascinating bio of accomplishments.  https://www.mec.cuny.edu/office-of-the-president/  While contributing to the history she really just wants to make a difference to students and the school community.  She also has cool ties to the schools namesake in  her family tree. Her very own cousin Curtis Harris, served to make sure Medgar Evers legacy was protected back in Mississippi years ago. She shared these sentiments to those of us in attendance as we sipped our tea and tipped our hats in her honor. Speaking of fashion  Michael Kors was on

Honeydew Holistics!

Hello World,  I recently had the pleasure of introducing Alicia Hudson, owner of Honeydew Holistics , for a women's history month event at Borough of Manhattan Community College . Ms. Hudson gave a very informative presentation on womb wellness, to a diverse audience that continued to want more! I followed up by booking a Yoni Steaming, the main service provided at her new shop located in DUMBO (Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass) at 53 Bridge St. in Brooklyn, NY. - A little bit of history : The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Vinegar Hill (named differently in the 1800's) housed a  free black community. Brooklyn's anti-slavery movement began in 1810 and there were black-owned businesses in this very area.  Yours truly, Melanie on site. 53 Bridge St. Ms. Hudson referenced that Essence Magazine had an event in the area some time ago which introduced her to the community. She loves her magazines as they've been the source of much inspiration in her life and business. It

Womb Wellness, Education and Celebration!

  Greetings, In May of 2003, I was 7 months pregnant and 10 days shy of my college graduation.  I’d be the first in my family to complete a degree at the time. My mom attended college, yet as a wife and mother in the 1960's, she didn't receive the support needed to continue. Her act in going inspired me. I was filled with so much promise, yet I'd need to develop a new plan. How would I care for a new life, while navigating a career in the real world? Naturally, I continued on with life discovering various paths, yet carrying so much in my womb unknowingly. Joy, Trauma and DisEase included. ——-Fast forward 17 years later ….my daughter would make me aware of a brand which would take me on journey to womb wellness.  Watch as I have a conversation with Genyii of Ahura Apothecary . Genyii is a certified mindfulness and womb wellness coach, holistic birthing doula, mother, community herbalist and owner/founder of Ahura Apothecary. In the video we discuss our journey to the sacre