Skip to main content

Imagine Your Wings!





I sat in the park on this beautiful day. There was a butterfly that came by and it reminded me of a song by Denice Williams BlackButterfly

As children many of us would open up our arms and flap them up and down like a bird or parallel like an airplane. We imagined ourselves soaring. Today I ran through the park with my arms wide open as a butterfly. I allowed myself as an adult to enjoy the open green space of nature. 

It was so freeing as I recall the process from which I’ve overcome. To see the light in my own life coming from a period that appeared so dim is a blessing. I see with the eyes of my faith. I thank God I'm no longer in those unattractive days. I was challenged in single parenting, lack of income and dealing with depression.  Whenever you see someone complimenting someone for their beauty in some form just know they certainly have their own story of ugliness. These areas were all related to forces down grading my value.  I’m grateful to have the guts to share so that we all can shine!

This fall homecoming season I plan to share my personal story which started on my campus. I hope that aspiring graduates will seek to understand the struggle that I endured from my choices in order for them to soar. If you’d be interested in having me speak on your college campus feel free to contact me today. I'm open to share with clubs, religious groups as well freshman through senior students. Email: ThresholdWorldBk@gmail.com.

So I spoke a little on beautiful things.....Guess what? .....I will be the MC and Panel Moderator for the first Beauty For Ashes Conference in Brooklyn this month. It’s the brainchild of visionary Joycelin Allgood. So many amazing women will be on the panel, performing and speaking. You are welcome to join in this great weekend.  Get your tickets today! It’s on Friday, September 14 and Saturday, September 15, 2018. https://beautyforashes.us/

I leave you today with these amazing words….from azlyrics.com

Black Butterfly

Morning light, silken dream take flight
As the darkness gives way to the dawn
You survived, now your moment has arrived
Now your dream has finally been born

Black Butterfly, sail across the waters
Tell your sons and daughters what the struggle brings
Black Butterfly, set the skies on fire
Rise up even higher
So the ageless winds of time can catch your wings

ooh...ooh

While you slept, the promise was unkept
But your faith was as sure as the stars
Now you're free, and the world has come to see
Just how proud and beautiful you are

Black Butterfly, sail across the waters
Tell your sons and daughters what the struggle brings
Black Butterfly, set the skies on fire
Rise up even higher
So the wind can catch your wings

Let the current lift your heart and send it soaring
Write your timeless message clear across the skies
So that all of us can read it and remember when we need it
That a dream conceived in truth can never die
Butterfly

Cause now you're free and the world has come to see
Just how proud and beautiful you are

Black Butterfly, sail across the waters
Tell your sons and daughters
what the struggle brings
Black Butterfly, set the skies set them on fire
Rise up even higher so the ageless winds of time can catch your wings

Fly
Butterfly
Yeah, yeah, yes
Fly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tea at MEC!

Left: Dr. Patricia Ramsey, President Medgar Evers College and Right: Yours Truly, Melanie Lewis  Hello ThresholdWorld Fam, It’s been a while so we’re gonna start off with some flavorful news to warm your spirit.  Sunday, August 28th was the Medgar Evers College (MEC) Pre-Inaugural High Tea Fundraiser in honor of the Sixth President, Dr. Patricia Ramsey.  President Ramsey is the first female and scientist to serve at the college. You’ve got to read her fascinating bio of accomplishments.  https://www.mec.cuny.edu/office-of-the-president/  While contributing to the history she really just wants to make a difference to students and the school community.  She also has cool ties to the schools namesake in  her family tree. Her very own cousin Curtis Harris, served to make sure Medgar Evers legacy was protected back in Mississippi years ago. She shared these sentiments to those of us in attendance as we sipped our tea and tipped our hats in her honor. Speaking of fashion  Michael Kors was on

Honeydew Holistics!

Hello World,  I recently had the pleasure of introducing Alicia Hudson, owner of Honeydew Holistics , for a women's history month event at Borough of Manhattan Community College . Ms. Hudson gave a very informative presentation on womb wellness, to a diverse audience that continued to want more! I followed up by booking a Yoni Steaming, the main service provided at her new shop located in DUMBO (Down Under The Manhattan Bridge Overpass) at 53 Bridge St. in Brooklyn, NY. - A little bit of history : The neighborhoods of DUMBO and Vinegar Hill (named differently in the 1800's) housed a  free black community. Brooklyn's anti-slavery movement began in 1810 and there were black-owned businesses in this very area.  Yours truly, Melanie on site. 53 Bridge St. Ms. Hudson referenced that Essence Magazine had an event in the area some time ago which introduced her to the community. She loves her magazines as they've been the source of much inspiration in her life and business. It

Womb Wellness, Education and Celebration!

  Greetings, In May of 2003, I was 7 months pregnant and 10 days shy of my college graduation.  I’d be the first in my family to complete a degree at the time. My mom attended college, yet as a wife and mother in the 1960's, she didn't receive the support needed to continue. Her act in going inspired me. I was filled with so much promise, yet I'd need to develop a new plan. How would I care for a new life, while navigating a career in the real world? Naturally, I continued on with life discovering various paths, yet carrying so much in my womb unknowingly. Joy, Trauma and DisEase included. ——-Fast forward 17 years later ….my daughter would make me aware of a brand which would take me on journey to womb wellness.  Watch as I have a conversation with Genyii of Ahura Apothecary . Genyii is a certified mindfulness and womb wellness coach, holistic birthing doula, mother, community herbalist and owner/founder of Ahura Apothecary. In the video we discuss our journey to the sacre